Saturday, February 22, 2014

Brussel Sprouts

One of my favorite ways to cook veggies is to roast them. So simple and easy, yet oh so delicious.

I'm really not sure where or how did brussel sprouts get such a bad reputation but it's going to be hard to convince people that they are delicious if they're always served to you just boiled, unappetizing and bland.

Here's my favorite way to cook these tiny little cabbages.

I slice them into two, sometimes three if they're big enough. Spread them out on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper (easy clean up). I then spritz them (very lightly) with extra virgin olive oil, sprinkle with lemon zest and lemon juice, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper. Roast in the oven at 425 degrees for 25 minutes or until tender. They pair well with grilled chicken and quinoa!



Sometimes, make "chips" out of them as well. I loosen the brussel sprouts into individual leaves and I spray them very lightly with EVOO (sometimes with the chips, I don't even spray them with oil). I roast them for 25 minutes and I take them out and let them cool for a bit.




These are great to snack on or one of my favorite way is topping my kale and spinach salad with the chips. They add a little bit of smokiness and crunch to the salad. If it were okay for me to eat dried cranberries (I preferred unsweetened) at this time, I will add it to the salad along with some sunflower seeds. A simple homemade lemon vinaigrette dressing and it's salad heaven!  


No comments:

Post a Comment