Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Old Friends

“One of the greatest titles we can have is "old friend". We never appreciate how important old
friends are until we are older. The problem is we need to start our old friendships when we are
young. We then have to nurture and grow those friendships over our middle age when a busy life and changing geographies can cause us to neglect those friends. Today is the day to invest in those people we hope will call us 'old friend" in the years to come.”

 

This is one of my very good friends, Diana during her wedding this past weekend. Looks like we've been friends forever right? Well we have but would you believe me when I say this is the second time she and I met in over 15 years?


She and I were best friends in high school (keep in mind that we don't have 7th & 8th grade in Philippines)  back in the Philippines. When I moved to the US in 1995 she and I kept in touch by writing to each other (emails and social network were pretty much non existent back then - not that I recall anyway). We wrote to each other often for the next few years then lost touch. Later on I found out she moved to Virginia. Somehow we got back in touch but it was very brief since she joined the Navy as soon as she got to the US. We lost contact for years to come. I tried looking for her but no luck. One day her dad found my number and called me and told me that she's living in Corpus Christi (which is about 7 1/2 hours south east of where I am). I got her number from her dad and called her a couple of times but she was on deployment. A couple of years passed by and we found each other again through Facebook ( I just love how facebook gets you in touch with people who haven't talked to in years!). I went to down to Austin for her Bachelorette Party a few weeks ago and it was the first time we've seen each other since 1995 and this past weekend I photographed her wedding! How crazy is that? It was just like old times. We picked up where we left off as if no time has passed. I'm truly lucky to have found my "old friend." :)

No comments:

Post a Comment