Wednesday, July 14, 2010

"How do you stay so skinny?"

I get asked that a lot. Quite frankly, I don't consider myself "skinny". I think I'm just right.... to me.. I could use a bit of toning here and there but overall happy with my body. Some people assume that I must spend a lot of time at the gym or starve myself. They seem so shock when I tell them I don't...especially lately. I've been so busy I haven't had a chance to do my normal gym routine.

I've never been really "fat". I weighed 129 lbs at my heaviest. I gained the "love weight" during the first year of my relationship with Vince... all 13 lbs of it. LOL. I knew I was gaining weight so I hit the gym regularly again. I've never diet once it my life (well not the kind that lasts longer than a day ;). I love food too much to give it up. As much as I love food, I've always been "picky" about what I eat. I can't even tell you when was the last time I had Taco Bell (Taco Bell popped in my head because of the new "Taco Bell Diet" - seriously? lmao!)...Not that I'm a fast food snob - it's just that I feel horrible after eating it. It's just so heavy and I always feel like I stuffed myself so much to food comma. I have some fast food occasionally but I normally steer away from them.

I "stay skinny" because I make a conscious effort to stay healthy. I cook dinner almost every night. I make almost everything from scratch. I remember one time I brought cup cakes at work and they asked me if it was Betty Crocker or Duncan Hines and when I said I made it myself they replied with "you know they sell that in a box". I know they sell stuff in a box but I like making stuff from scratch. When I make it myself, I'm in control. I know what and how much to put in it. I know I'm not eating some ingredient that I can't even spell or pronounce. I take pride in everything I make even when it comes to food. I love cooking, I enjoy it. It's therapeutic to be in the kitchen after a long day at work. You'll be amazed how simple fresh ingredients cooked simply could pack so much flavor. Writing about it makes me want to cook!

I eat pretty much everything I want but not every time I want. I also don't stuff myself. I don't ever starve myself. I don't deprive myself of anything. I believe you can have whatever you want as long as it's in moderation. I think this is why "dieting" ie. starving yourself doesn't work...I think depriving yourself of something leads to binging. I don't drink coffee (I get bad headaches even with just a couple of sips of it :) or anything that is high in sugar or caffeine..for the same reason. I sip on plenty of water all day long. I drink about 2-3 liter of water a day - I make a lot of trips to the ladies room.

On top of that I do make little conscious decisions that I know benefits me no matter how small they are. I park my car as far away as possible to the elevator. Every step counts. I take the stairs all the way to the 5th floor (it used to be 9th floor) to get to the office - that's about 10 flights of stairs - oh yes I do it in my 4 1/2" high heels. When I'm standing by my desk brainstorming or waiting for something to save or print - I do some table push-ups. Sometimes when I'm standing talking to someone I stand on my tippy toes or do calf raises. I do some crunches or stretch while I'm watching TV. It helps that I walk the dogs as well.

Of course I love working out. I wouldn't say I'm a gym rat (although there was a time that I pretty much spent half of my days there). I usually do yoga, lift weights, free weights and cardio. As much as I would like to be at the gym every day or every other day, sometimes my schedule doesn't permit but I'm not too worried because I know I'm making the right choices outside of the gym. I think one thing that people gotta remember when trying to lose weight or keep it off is that it's a lifestyle change. It's not something you do for a short period of time then when you get there it's all over. I've lived like this since I was in high school. Activities changes but over all concept is the same. I stay as active as I possibly can and I know that whatever I put in my body has an affect on it. This is how I stay "so skinny."

No comments:

Post a Comment