Monday, June 18, 2012

Breakfast on the Go!

Can't tell you the last time I skipped breakfast. I think there are waaaay too many choices (healthy of course) to not have breakfast. They say breakfast is the most important meal of the day. I'm not going to list all of the reasons why but you should check this link (and many more out there) as a start. http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/most-important-meal

Anyhow, I'm a HUGE fan of smoothies and juices for breakfast. I'm always on the go. It's unfortunate that I don't have the luxury of time to prepare and cook a hearty breakfast and actually sit down and enjoy it in the morning, so  I resort to smoothies. I try to pre-measure and pre package all of the ingredients (mainly fruits in the morning) ahead of time, so all I have to do is take the bag out of the freezer and pop it in the blender, throw in some liquid and sometimes protein powder, blend away for a minute and you have a great breakfast that you can drink/eat on the go.

Here are some recipes I tried last week: (keep in mind that these recipes serves 2 people)

- 9 oz of cubed firm tofu (yes tofu, it's good for you http://www.livestrong.com/article/60600-tofu-nutrition-information/)
- 2 tbsp of sunflower seed (unsalted)
- 2 oranges (juiced)
- 1 lemon (juiced)
- 7 strawberries
- 1 tsp of raw or agave honey for sweetness (Vince needed it)
-6 ice cubes

Combine all ingredients in the blender and blend for 2 minutes and serve.

*Note: I was VERY full after drinking my serving of this that I couldn't eat my mid morning snack and ate my lunch really late because I just wasn't hungry. I didn't get to eat my afternoon snack because again, I wasn't hungry but I was STARVING by the end of my workout. This totally messed up my eating routine. Vince however, didn't have the same experience. I will try to cut my serving in half next time.







Oatmeal Berries Smoothie

-1/4 cup of oatmeal (nuked in water)
- 6 oz of raspberries
- 6 oz of blueberries
- 1/4 cup of non fat, no salt added cottage cheese
- 2 tbsp of honey
- 6 ice cubes
- Splash of unsweetened coconut milk (or whatever milk you have) to thin it up a bit (optional)

- Combine all ingredients in the blender and enjoy!



More to come later!

No comments:

Post a Comment