I honestly wouldn't know how I would have survived and enjoyed and had the experience that I had with prepping/training for the show without Vince's support. I wouldn't call him a saint haha (why do people use that term anyway?) but he's been the most supportive, encouraging and loving husband that anyone could ask for.
When I first mentioned that I would like to do a fitness competition to him, the first thing he said was "If that's what you really want to do my love, go for it, I will support you." Not once he doubted me or asked if that's what I really wanted to do or if I was sure. But instead he supported me and more.
Prepping for a show is definitely not the most "convenient" thing for the athlete training for it, let alone for those around them. Everything was affected. Places we could go, things we could do, food we could and couldn't eat, things we didn't have time for, etc. But Vince took it in strides. During our travels to Kansas City, Indiana and Ohio, he made sure that I was on top of my workouts and nutrition. Not that I didn't have the discipline to do it myself but he got out there and worked out with me, even when it was -15 degrees outside, or in the middle of the America and nothing but farms surrounding us or in a hotel gym where they only had 5 lbs dumbbells and two treadmills. He made sure that I never felt alone.
One of the reasons why we moved to Denver was because of the mountains and all the great snowboarding within our reach. Vince and I met snowboarding so it's only fitting that we end up in a place where we can do that pretty much anytime we want. Since I have to eat every 3 hours, we had to bring my food with us on the slopes. Since I'm not as good of a boarder as he is and can't (I wonder if I can since I never really tried it) board and wear a back pack at the same time, he did. He wore a huge backpack all day with all my food in it. We stopped in the middle of the run so I can eat. He also pushed me to be better at snowboarding. He always challenges me and encourages me to be better than what I was.
During his time off from work, instead of enjoying his time off and traveling, sleeping in or doing nothing or whatever it is that he wanted to do, he woke up early in the morning with me and attend my workout and posing sessions with my coach so he can hear the comments and know what to look for, so when I practice at home, he can tell me what I need to correct with my posing. There were times that he ended his workouts early on Saturday mornings so that he can meet me at the gym for group posing. He video every posing class I had and took pictures so I can look back and see what I need to improve on. Heck, he even video my teammates posing when she asked him to (not a bad job to have if you ask me. Taking a video of fit girls in their bikinis strutting their stuff? yeah not at all.)
There were times that I had to work late and didn't have time to prep my food since I have to go to the gym, he would cook all my food so all I have to do was to measure and put it all together. The times when I didn't feel like working out after a very long day at work, he encourage me to go then surprises me at the gym, to spot me and lift my spirits up, no matter how late it is or how tired he is.
With all the time I spent working and working out and food prepping, I had little to no time for any house work and he took care of everything without any complaints. Laundry, cleaning, dog duties, you name it, he did it. There were even times when I came home to a clean house and a surprise gifts!
Come on! Really? What more can a girl ask for? Well..
A shoulder to cry on during a meltdown, warm hugs and kisses on the forehead when every one around me is enjoying food I couldn't have and I cry about it (yes, that happened, a few times), standing up for me when people makes fun or teases me about food, pushes and challenges me to do better, to be better. Someone that finds a way to make/do something funny about a situation that I don't necessarily find amusing. Someone that listens (or at least a good job pretending to listen) to all of my workout stories, soreness bitching, conversations with my coach, griping about work and all of my "non sense" I'm not ready whining. The constant reminder of how proud he was of me and what I've accomplished so far, not just for training but with everything that I've done.
A shoulder to cry on during a meltdown, warm hugs and kisses on the forehead when every one around me is enjoying food I couldn't have and I cry about it (yes, that happened, a few times), standing up for me when people makes fun or teases me about food, pushes and challenges me to do better, to be better. Someone that finds a way to make/do something funny about a situation that I don't necessarily find amusing. Someone that listens (or at least a good job pretending to listen) to all of my workout stories, soreness bitching, conversations with my coach, griping about work and all of my "non sense" I'm not ready whining. The constant reminder of how proud he was of me and what I've accomplished so far, not just for training but with everything that I've done.
The day of the show, as I walked on that stage and saw the look on his face, I almost wanted to cry. I saw a husband who was so proud of his wife. He was snapping away and making sure that he was capturing every moment of that day. Screaming and cheering for me as they call my number. The sense of pride and words of encouragement was indescribable.
Baby, I know I've said it a million times but I still feel like it's not enough but Thank You. Thank you for being so wonderful and being such a good sport and supportive of this choice that I've made and thank you for embracing the lifestyle change as well. Thank you for never giving up on me. Thank you for all the sacrifices you've made for me. Thank you for all that you do for me and for my friends and family and most of all, thank you for loving me, unconditionally. I wake up every day thanking God for giving me you. I can't imagine living my life without you now that I know what it's like being with you. I love you so much!
How could one girl be so lucky and finds a man that does all this and says that he's the lucky one that found someone that makes him wants to be a better man and husband to her? I don't know what I did to deserve such a blessing in my life but I'm definitely not taking it for granted. Vince and I have been blessed to have each other and to challenge and push each other to be better and better and better. Together we make a great team, an amazing team. I can't wait to see what the future holds for us but together, we are unstoppable. The Leone's are going to rock the Rocky's. (Oh did I mention that Vince have decided to start training as well and compete in Men's Physique?, now talk about power couple.










No comments:
Post a Comment