I made sure that I was more than prepared for it. I did my researched and found a gym nearby that I could go to and get my workouts in. I also made sure that people in the cabin knew that I was training and they were all very supportive and even recruited Vince, my brother in law and his room mate to workout with me!
On our first day there, I was in the kitchen prepping my food for the next few days. I made sure that I brought my necessities from home (scale, rice cooker, fresh produce/protein, supplements and tupperware, etc).
I got up early to go to the gym and get my morning workout in before we head out to the slopes. I also did not stay for night boarding so I can go to the gym and get my night workout in after boarding. Working legs twice a week and boarding all day is no joke! There were times when my legs just gave out on me while boarding down the mountain but it was all worth it! I saw boarding as extra cardio sessions especially in that powder!
I also made sure that I had alarms set on my phone so I knew exactly when it was time to eat. Vince of course the supporting husband that he is, wore a back pack which had all the meals, water and supplements I needed during the time we are on the slopes. We stopped in the middle of the runs and sat down and ate. My food was cold but the view was definitely unbeatable!
I knew one thing that would be hard would be the part when all of us would be going out to eat. We hit certain specialty food places during these trips and I knew that I wouldn't be able to enjoy all that deliciousness but I did not let this get in the way of hanging out with friends and family. I either ate my food before we went out or brought it with me to the restaurant (depending on what time it was). One day, I got to eat at the restaurant. It fell on a day where I could have lean steak for dinner.
I know they felt bad for me that I didn't get to eat what they were eating but I told them not to. It was a choice that I'm doing it and it really wasn't bad that I wasn't able to eat with them. It would be worse if I had stayed at home and didn't go out with them at all. I just couldn't do that. I couldn't alienate myself because of my training. That's ridiculous. If that's how it is during training, how could anyone keep it up during "off season"?
Besides, me not eating means more table space for their food, in front of me... Just like this...while I enjoy my green tea..
Vince and I went over at friend's house for dinner. She was asking if she needed to prepare anything special for me. I said no. We had to bring food anyway, so we brought kale salad and lean steak with great marinade. I fixed my plate of salad before adding the extra stuff like nuts, cranberries and dressing for everyone else. We enjoyed the same delicious and healthy food but mine was just slightly modified. Being on a "special diet" shouldn't be a big deal, especially when it comes to hanging out with friends and family around food. I eat what I'm supposed to and not bring any attention to it. As a matter of fact, I've changed so many minds about how healthy and clean food can be delicious as well!
I'm a big believer of with a little extra effort, training should not get in the way of life. Preparing and planning is the key to success!


No comments:
Post a Comment