Tuesday, April 12, 2011
No Longer a Runner
After my run today, I've decided that I am putting off running the half marathon. The goal was to run a half marathon this year but I'm just not ready for it. I've been training for over a month now and I just can't stand it. I used to be a runner, ran track and cross country in high school. I enjoyed it then. I used to enjoy it but since I started "training" or started to just do the miles, I just started hating it. I work out because I enjoy it, I lift weights, rock climb, play sports, mountain biking, road biking, swimming, hiking, pole dancing, yoga, enter warrior dashes and mud runs because I ENJOY them. It's not a chore, it's not because I HAVE to do it, it's because I WANT to do it. I run after lifting and it's fine. 1.5 - 2 miles no problem but I found myself loathing my run days. I realized that I don't enjoy my runs, I don't feel good after them either, it's always "glad that's over" instead of "wow I just did that"... So given the negativity that I have with having to log miles a week - I've decided that I will hold off on that goal and maybe do it when I feel like it, maybe after I learn to enjoy running again. I'm not putting my running shoes up completely but they won't be logging in the "required miles" for the week like they have...I'll do my usual after workout runs but that's about it - maybe more if I feel like it. But for now, forcing myself to run isn't working and I definitely HAVE to enjoy myself before I can even get myself to do it.... on the other hand, I absolutely LOVE biking so I think we're going to go for the 56 mile bike ride in Rockwall sometime in the summer. Can't wait! I look forward to our rides every weekend!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
You should join a running club. Try RunOn!'s site...sometimes they have clubs that are training for certain marathons. Also, try reading some blogs on Runner's World's site. They are inspiring and might have some good hints for you to get the "boring" out of running. But don't look at me...I'm not a runner. Just a wanna be.
ReplyDeleteLife's too short. Spend time doing things you LOVE (while keeping healthy and active!)
ReplyDelete