Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Balancing the Scale

I've been working out consistently for a good while now... always active but I wouldn't call myself gym junkie ... and I can definitely see and most importantly FEEL the results. The other day, someone told me that I was looking good and as much as I workout I must have lost some weight and asked me how much have I lost... I didn't know the answer to that. The last time I weighed myself was probably over two months ago...So I was curious... I weighed myself when I got home. And I weighed the same as I did (I think) when I weighed before working out BUT I've lost inches - I didn't measure but I can tell by the way my clothes fit and the way I look.

I just never (okay not never - because I can think of an occasion when I did but that lasted like a week) really cared about the weight..maybe because I never really had much to lose. I find that a lot of people get too bogged down by the number on the scale and lose sight/focus on being fit and healthy. My weight fluctuates up to 6 lbs in one day! So I can't be bothered by the "last 5 lbs" or whatever .. As long as I know that I'm treating my body right by eating healthy, indulging when I want and giving my body the activities to keep it functioning right then I'm good.

It's all about balance. I remember when I got my weight down to 105 lbs, I didn't feel as good about it as I do where I am now (116 lbs which is where I think I will be from now on if I stay as active). I was at my "ideal weight" (or so I thought) but it came with a price. I restricted, deprived and pushed myself so much that at the end I caved and gained it all back and then some. So when my focus turned to just being active and enjoying myself and eating smarter and balancing the two with minimal effort as it should be, my body rewarded me with a body that I love and finally accept. When you FEEL good, you'll LOOK good. :)

So I say ditch the scale (unless you have over 15 lbs to lose and using that number as your motivation then go for it but the last 5 lbs? I say the hell with it (Jenny! AA!, Ash!, Cassie!)- as long as you know you work hard and you've put your all into it and that last 5 lbs lingers on?... tell that 5lbs to go ahead and stay - they keep you warm at night and you love the company. :)

2 comments:

  1. the scale is a quick way for me to measure, but I always tracked myself by how my clothes fit. I'm happy with any number, as long as I fit in that dynamite favorite dress of mine ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, talk to me after you have kids LOL! That last 5lbs will HAUNT you. HA HA HA!

    ReplyDelete