Tuesday, September 28, 2010

The Simple Life

Well I've been on a hiatus from blogging for a few weeks but I'm back! I know it seems redundant when I say I've been busy. I'm starting to wonder when am I not busy? The answer is almost never but every now and then I make the time to get away and do something for me.

A few weeks ago I went to Burlington, Indiana. It's some small town about an hour and a half north of Indianapolis. I went there for Alice & John's 40th Wedding Anniversary (my second Mom & Dad).

Alice & John are from Indiana but they moved to Arlington, TX back in the 70s when John landed a job at the GM plant.

I met them when I was 16 while working at Peter Piper Pizza in Arlington. They were in charge of the Citizens on Patrol in that area. When the restaurant opened it became one of their hang outs. We became fast friends. When I graduated high school and ventured out on my own while my family moved to Washington State, Alice & John loved the fact that I was my tail off and going to school (I guess they've seen too many "kids" my age take the wrong path when given the freedom I had). Sometimes, they would bring me dinner during my shift at the restaurant (yes they knew that I didn't prefer fast food/pizza). Alice & I bonded through our love of food and John - well he's just one of the funniest and silliest person I know! They helped me out during my college years when I needed help. They unofficially adopted me. :) They weren't able to have children since I was so darn adorable they couldn't help but love me! LOL. :) A few years ago, they moved back to Indiana.

I visited them once a few years ago but I had to be there for their 40th wedding anniversary. Unfortunately, I was only able to get away for a three day weekend but I'm glad I did. I flew to Indianapolis, rented a car and made the almost 2 hour drive up to Burlington. After about 15 minutes on the highway, I hit nothing but farm roads. Everything was so green. I saw nothing but fields of corn and soy and barns. It was very peaceful. It's simply beautiful. I had the windows rolled down and had the radio off half the time. Peaceful. The drive was not bad at all, it felt like a 15 minute drive! I let my left hand weave through the wind. The fresh air and the beaming sun, it was simply beautiful. Just what I needed. To get away from the hustle and bustle of my normal life (which I love - don't get me wrong).

 

We didn't watch TV and I didn't get on the computer. We sat on the porch and talked for hours. John took me around town. We went to the Amish country and ate some very fresh simple country food. This was simple, nothing gourmet but absolutely delish! I managed to get a run in during this. I needed SOME exercise because I was definitely indulging!

Sometimes, even a city girl like me could definitely enjoy some country life. :) It's a great break!

1 comment:

  1. I had NO idea that you bonded with a couple at this time. It is quite pleasant to learn more about you Ronnie! I am glad that you had so much fun and that you are kind and are staying connected.

    ReplyDelete