Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Oatmeal Obsession!

Last week and this week I've been experimenting with different ways to prepare my oatmeal. I love oatmeal for breakfast especially when it's a little chilly outside!

I used to eat instant oatmeal all the time but then I figured that stuff is processed as well with the extra flavoring and preservatives and stuff...plus it's cheaper to buy the big tub of rolled oats and make your own flavor!

So far here's what I came up with (sorry I didn't think to take any pictures - I was too eager to eat it)!

Foundation is the same - for 1 serving:

1/2 cup of All Natural Rolled Oats (I found these easier to work with vs Steel Cut oats that takes much longer to cook)
1 cup of 1% milk (I can't do skim milk but if you can feel free!)
A pinch of kosher salt

Cinnamon Apples:
1/2 Granny Smith Apple (or whatever apples you have - I like the tanginess of Granny Smith) - cored and diced
1 teaspoon of cinnamon
1 tablespoon of honey

Vanilla & Almonds
12 roasted chopped (We always keep whole raw and toasted almonds at home all the time but if you have slivered almonds use those)
2 teaspoon of vanilla

Strawberry Banana
1/2 of a banana sliced
5 sliced strawberries
2 teaspoon of honey

Blueberry & Almonds
1/4 cup of blueberries
12 chopped almonds

Maple Sugar & Raisins
1/4 cup of Raisins
1 tablespoon of All Natural Maple Syrup
1 tablespoon of Brown Sugar

The possibilities are endless - this is a good way to start your day and it literally takes about 5 minutes to make. It's cheaper and healthier than going out to McDonalds or whatever fast food breakfast out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment